Running costs for Electric Underfloor Heating
The costs of running Fastwarm® electric underfloor heating systems will always differ from property to property.
The following room features need to be considered: -
- Room size
- Large areas of glass (Bifolds)
- High ceilings and Velux windows(Skylight)
- How well insulated the area is
- Whether an insulation board been used beneath the underfloor heating system
- How long the system is running for
- The cost your energy provider is charging per KwH unit.
From the initial start up time - until the floor reaches the desired set temperature - the system will be running at full power. Once the floor has reached the set temperature, it will not require as much power to maintain and will only switch on (call for heat) if the floor drops by 1.1°c (default thermostat setting).
Insulating the floor and room as best as possible will reduce the warm up time resulting in the system running more economically and reducing running cost by as much as 50%.
Recent research has shown the average household is paying an estimated 0.28p per Kilowatt hours (KwH) for electricity. Using this information, we've been able to provide an estimated running cost per hour (based on the system being laid over a minimum of 10mm of insulation).
If you know the cost per KwH your supplier is charging you, simply change the value below to update the table and show more accurate estimates for your circumstances.
Estimated Running Costs
The table above shows the total cost for running your underfloor heating over a 5 hour period. This takes into account to fact that the thermostat won't be calling for heat as often once the initial warm up temperature is reached.
Reducing Your Running Costs
Reduce the running costs of your electric underfloor heating using these below tips
- Ensure adequate insulation is used below the underfloor heating system we advise a minimum of 6mm Fastwarm® insulation boards.
- Zoning the system into rooms such as kitchen, lounge, hallway and WC. This will allow independent control of these areas in which areas may be used more frequently than others.
- Thermostat Programming is an essential step when using your underfloor heating system. Having the system scheduled to run at higher temps at key points within the day and lower temperatures when the room is not being used can save on the pocket. Fastwarm® thermostats are design to give you the ability to schedule to suit your day, with 4 setpoints per day know as Walk, Leave, Return, Sleep.
Running costs for Water Underfloor Heating
Fastwarm® water underfloor heating systems are considerably cheaper to run compared to electric systems.
Calculating an exact, per meter squared, running cost for a water based underfloor heating system requires knowledge of your property's build quality and configuration. For example, you would need to know your property's thermal values to be able to correctly size the boiler, a SAPS Calculation can be used to determine the KW requirement for the boiler. Therefore all values here can only be provided as estimates and may not truly represent your actual running costs.
|Area Size||Annual Running Cost||Area Size||Annual Running Cost|
Reducing Your Running Costs
Reduce the running costs of your water underfloor heating using these below tips
- Ensure the property is well insulated, this will reduce the heat requirement. Bringing the property to better insulated value will reduce the size boiler that is required allowing you to heat your property efficiently. It is suggested to speak with a heating engineer who can provide a heat loss calculation to correctly size your boiler.
- Running the system independently to the existing central heating will allow better control over the water underfloor heating system reducing running cost.
- Thermostat Programming is an essential step when using your underfloor heating system. Having the system scheduled to run at higher temps at key points within the day and lower temperatures when the room is not being used can save on the pocket. Fastwarm thermostats are design to give you the ability to schedule to suit your day, with 4 setpoints per day know as Walk, Leave, Return, Sleep.